Wednesday, 9 September 2015

Thai Iced Tea

Whenever I go to Thai Flavours, I always have to order a glass of Thai iced tea with my meal. There's something uniquely refreshing about its aromatic, spicy, robust flavour made light with cream. I wanted to take these flavours and replicate it at home, so online I went to search for recipes. I saw many of such recipes call for prepared Thai tea bags, but I didn't want to the food dye additive that often came with these products. I really didn't need it to be that orange. 

But all was not lost. The recipe, from which I adapted mine, came from Against All Grain. What I really liked about it is that Danielle uses pure tea leaves and spices instead of prepackaged Thai tea bags, honey over condensed milk to sweeten, and coconut milk instead of cream for a lighter fix. I'll admit, though, I still prefer Thai iced tea with cream.


Assam black tea lends a smokey, slightly sweet aroma. Furthermore, when infused the tea is inherently a caramel orange colour. Cardamom seeds add that zesty, spicy taste, and star anise provide that hint of licorice flavour. I use "Assam Behora Estate", which you can find at Acquired Taste Tea (Support local!). Because this is loose leaf tea, I would recommend getting the drawstring tea bags like the ones from David's Tea. This blend gets steeped in honey, and once cooled is poured over ice with cream/ coconut milk to make a divine drink. 


// Ingredients

5 cups water
1/3 cup honey
6 teaspoons Assam black tea 
6 cardamom pods
1 star anise
Cream/ Coconut milk

//Directions
  1. Boil the water in a medium saucepan. Once it comes to a boil, stir in the honey. 
  2. Divide the tea leaves, cardamom pods, and star anise into the tea bags. My suggestion is two teaspoons of tea and two cardamom pods per tea bag, which makes for a total of three prepared tea bags. Place the star anise in any one of these. 
  3. Place the tea bags into the boiling honey water and cover with a lid to minimize evaporation. Allow to steep in a rolling boil for 3-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a low temperature, and allow to steep for 30 minutes. 
  4. Let it cool to at least room temperature. The colder the better.
  5. Fill the glasses 3/4 of the way with ice, pour in the chilled tea, and top with cream or coconut milk. Any leftover tea can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.
xo Ann





No comments:

Post a Comment