Friday, 30 October 2015

Costumes Compilation

Photo by Kimmie Hoang


Halloween affords an excellent excuse to sew something different from the usual and to adopt a new identity so long as it's not grossly offensive. Honestly, I am not a fanatic when it comes to this day, but when there's reason to dress up I will take up the opportunity. One of my best friends, Lauren, suggested I write a post about costumes I have designed or made in the past. So let's get started!


Frida Kahlo 
I was planning on just letting Halloween slip me by this year. However, my dear Lauren decided to host a Halloween extravaganza, and I absolutely must be there for the Polyjuice Potion. With only a couple weeks remaining, a mild panic attack surfaced as I tried to devise an interesting yet easy costume. Who shall I impersonate this year? Inspired by the Pirate Lass in the 01/2013 issue of BurdaStyle, I used some of the elements to make a peasant blouse and ruffled skirt for Frida. The floral crown was made by attaching faux flowers onto a plastic headband with wire.

Photo by Kimmie Hoang
Photo by Kimmie Hoang


Patchface (2014)
Last year, I had the honour of creating a costume, for my friend Evan. He created the concept of Patchface, and my role was to take the drawings and bring the elements to life. The many pieces meant many fittings and many sleepless nights trying to figure out how to construct all seven of them - the jester hood, collar, mantle, doublet, shirt, pants, and it wouldn't be complete without a generous codpiece. When I got to see him truly bring that sinister jester to life, was that ever worth the insomnia.

Photo by Tye Eldridge
Photo by Tye Eldridge


Snow White (2009)
This costume was made with the pattern, Simplicity 2813. (There's one for Cinderella in there as well.) At the time my hair was in a short bob, and I really wanted to don a cape. The photos, here, were taken a couple years later for my working dossier, so my hair would have naturally grown out by then.


Photo by RJ Jimenez
Photo by RJ Jimenez


Mulan (2004)
Growing up, I had a madness for Mulan as she was the only relatable Disney princess. Without question, I had to be her! I designed the costume and picked out the materials while my mother drafted the patterns and assembled it all together. This costume also received some wear from my cousins and my sister over the years. To this day (as pictured), it still fits except I am now tall enough to fill the skirt without the hem trailing on the ground.

Photo by Kimmie Hoang
Photo by Kimmie Hoang

What will you be for Halloween this year?


xo Ann


No comments:

Post a Comment